Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dark Horse presents "Blacksad".....


If I read graphic novels, as a rule I tend to go for non-fiction memoirs. I picked up Blacksad after reading an amazing review of it in an old Publishers Weekly~it stated that Blacksad was unique for its toughness, raciness, and violence. Naturally, I felt I immediately had to read it. I can't tell you how grateful I am that I found this book. I will never shun a fiction graphic novel again; and coming from someone who actually shies away from the comic book/graphic novel genre...this is a HUGE statement!
Blacksad is, first off, one of the greatest art books I have ever seen. The illustrations are impeccable and convey the essences of the stories therein perfectly. This book is a compilation of the first three Blacksad issues, all of which concern some type of mystery. Blacksad reads like a noir crime thriller--it is set in the 1950's, and contains historical references (often in guise), throughout the novel. The references to nazi-ism, lynchings, the beat generation, racism, and film noir were some of my personal favrites. The illustrations can be a bit graphic...I would hesitate to put this in the hands of a teenager unless they were mature enough to handle nudity and violence. The novel doesn't go over the top in that respect, but there's enough to warrant discretion.
The stories are well-developed and will draw readers in of all ages and literary taste. I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.
like flag

No comments: