Monday, December 5, 2011

Triangles

I just finished reading Triangles, a new novel by Ellen Hopkins.  It was recommended to me by several Waterford Library staff members, so I checked it out.  I was skeptical.  The story is about three women facing the various trials of love, marriage, and children.  Although it hardly sounds like a unique plot, Triangles is set apart by the form in which Hopkins writes.  At first glance the writing looks like poetry, but it reads like prose.  The chapters alternate between the perspectives of Holly, Andrea, and Marissa. The last page of each chapter is reflective, and often does read more like poetry.  The last words of each chapter blend into the first of the next, making it difficult to put the book down.  The way Hopkins plays with words provides a lot of the entertainment in reading the book.  Despite my skepticism, I found myself riveted.  I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick read.

No comments: