Friday, January 4, 2008

Save, Save, and what the heck, Save again.

It is so important that you save your stuff! I don't know how many times I've seen someone working at the computer and I look up on the screen, at the top of the window, and it's obvious to me that the document has never been saved to disk.

Right after bringing up a new document, save it to the hard drive. Give it a
name and save the document in a specific, proper folder.
Then, every so often, press Ctrl+S to save your work.

I typically do this after I feel I've written something particularly interesting, whenever I leave my chair, or whenever the phone rings. You should, too!

As we have experienced this week, you never know when the File Server will decide to quit synchronizing and then that important document that you have been working is gone because it was never saved.

No comments: